View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Do you really not understand this quote? And that it is from Picasso?

That is of course if you are the one doing the stealing: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/26/31...images#3597459

I see you don't understand this, either. Those are not Sony phones. Those are Apple phones. There were no Sony phones that those were based on. They do sort of look like a Sony Walkman that was based on an iPod, though.

The idea that these were from Sony has been debunked numerous times.

I understand copying is something anybody can do. You have to work harder to steal something and make it better. While the quote has long been attributed to Picasso, there’s no proof he actually said it.

T.S. Eliot, a great thief, once said “One of the surest tests is the way in which a poet borrows. Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different."

I know these are not Sony drawings. Apple looked in part to Sony for inspiration in designing its first iPhone. These are Apple renderings of Sony mockups that even carried the name of the Japanese electronics company!!! While Apple didn't copy any specific Sony product, they admittedly used Sony-style design philosophies. A rectangular device with a screen and little or no buttons is not something original that Apple came up with, but a concept that already existed.

Apple has stolen ideas and concepts many, many times. Apple didn't invent tablets, phones, or music players, they stole them and improved upon them. This is what innovation is about. Taking an idea or concept, improving it, and making it better. I applaud Apple for this. It's hypocritical when other companies do the same things Apple has done and become the target of ridiculous patent lawsuits over rounded corners.

Good thing Eliot and Picasso are dead, because if they were alive today and Picasso could prove he thought of the concept first I shudder to think of the ensuing court battle.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-10-2012 at 08:54 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote