View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yesterday I sent an email to jeff@amazon.com complaining that despite his statements that Amazon doesn't insist on DRM, I couldn't find a way to submit without DRM.

This morning I got back a reply from Nick Boone-Lutz from the Kindle ebooks team.

It seems that you can publish on the Kindle without DRM, but not through the Mobipocket web site. You have to go through the Amazon Digital Text Platform

http://dtp.amazon.com/

And that will let you upload a non-DRMed Mobipocket file for the Kindle. (& other formats that get converted.)

I still think that the 35%/65% split is amazingly bad, but it seems non-DRM on Kindle is as easy as that. It won't get the book into other ebook stores, of course.
So on one hand Amazon insists on DRM and on the other hand if you want to go exclusive for the Kindle, you can sell DRM free. This doesn't make a lot os sense. Amazon is not being very consistent here. They own Mobipocket and can change the way Mobipocket handles DRM. There is no reason not to allow publishers to publish Mobipocket without DRM. I think this is another ploy to sell more Kindles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote