View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
This is one of my favoritest, funniest books ever, going back for decades. I remember making a pilgrimage to Forest Lawn cemetery with a college friend who also loved it, and we kept quoting all the verses to rack other and laughing our heads off as we discovered that it was exactly as Waugh portrayed.

When I read Jon's first post, I thought I might have misrembered it and that it was slow to get going. Instead, I was charmed, again, from the earliest pages and it rapidly proceeded to outright hilarity. How can you help laughing at the Happier Hunting Ground?

It's bad timing for me this evening, but I'll post at more length tomorrow. I just don't want people to be discouraged from giving it a try.

ETA: It's on the Telegraph's list of 15 best comedy novels and the Guardian's list of 1000 must reads.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote