View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I suspect the technology will take at least a few generations to become as good as the greyscale. I think a screen like that could be very useful for tablet PC type devices. But that is way to big for a portable reading device.

I'm concerned that the trend toward do-everything type of readers will diminish the ability to simply read books. I want a good reader, not a swiss-army-knife compromised device that does a lot of things so-so and nothing well.
I keep going back & forth on this. One the one hand I dislike the 'all-in-one' idea that if one part breaks I need to replace/return the whole thing. (I'm facing that now with a printer/scanner/fax. I've gotten the printer & fax working, but can't get the scanner to send the image to the PC. I think it's a software problem but they've told me to return it for repair which will leave me without a printer or fax, either.)

On the other hand, I like 'all-in-one' for portability. I much prefer taking my smart phone with me to read, browse the Web, listen to music, and more as opposed to carrying an eBook reader, an MP3 player, etc. Plus all their separate chargers if I'm traveling. (Have you seen the article about the UN defining a 'standard' charger for phones? I don't think it'll catch on, but it'd be nice.)

As for the size, it seems to me that there are two separate markets here. Some people are entirely in one market or the other while others straddle both markets depending on what they're doing-but I think there's definitely two markets.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote