View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It's the age old battle as to why publishers are forced to sell to libraries. It's also the same discussion on why you can't resell your ebook, or loan it.

Why should "society" pay for access to Oprah's latest book? Clearly there is a long wait because people want to read the book -- NOW. And clearly there aren't enough copies for the most in demand book.

But really, you don't even have to GO to a library to check out an ebook or audio book. The only way to keep library lending from become the same thing as putting an ebook on a file sharing site....is to limit the number of copies.

If you don't want to wait....go buy yourself a copy. If you are poor -- wait or read something else.
It is about our "HURRY UP" society. We don't want to wait.
You go into a car dealership, it is about your credit and the payments. A home realtor, it is the same. If you have to have a book, and e-book, an audio-book, you can borrow and get it, but then can you resell after use like a car or a house? Not really.

You want it free as a library book. So, wait, you cheapskate!

I had a friend. He rented a long time after he was married and had children. He had a good job, but didn't like debt. He is the only man (without an inheritance or a winning lottery ticket) I know who paid cash straight up and bought a house. I pride myself on frugality, but it took me 6 to 7 years to pay for my first house. After that it was easy.
If we could transfer (legally) the rights to e-books like a paper-book, life would be better.

Now I recognize the difficulty for the authors if their books can be copied and virtually given away to anyone. They will have to find another livelihood. That is a great loss that we have decided must not happen.

By the way I remember the efforts by authors to try to claim some of the money from the resale of their used paper books. They were laughed at.

Generally, that was considered "a bridge too far."

Last edited by frahse; 07-01-2019 at 06:49 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote