View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
cat8864
cat8864 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T3
Looking for a new eReader

Hey folks, I'm looking for a new eReader to replace my Sony T3.

A little background: After 7 years my ebook collection is about ~1,200 books. Mostly ePub, some PDF, DRM and non-DRM. Currently all organised in Calibre into collections each containing anywhere from 4 to 300 books each. No pictures, textbooks or comics - just fiction. I'm not adverse to converting or reorganising everything.

The most common place to find me reading is at the gym. So lighting isn't a problem, but good battery life and smaller device size is required.

Due to health reasons, back light and tablet screens are a problem so I can't read on a regular tablet, phone, etc.

I read around 900 pages a week, if not more and there's rarely an available outlet for me to plug into.

I'm located in Canada but I can ship to the US and pick it up there.

Required:
  • Collection management - Folder based, shelves, etc. Whatever, just so long as I can assign a category and have it reflected on the device.
  • Adjustable font sizes
  • Reliable battery
  • Responsive UI with massive library
  • eInk
  • Preferably 6" to 7", maybe an 8" but not larger

Appreciated:
  • Note-taking and bookmarks
  • Sorting (date, author, title, etc)
  • Currently reading and recently added lists

Not needed:
  • Dictionaries
  • Water-proofing
  • Built-in light (if present I MUST be able to turn it off)
  • Wifi / bluetooth

I've tried two different Kobo's - the latest Aura One and the latest H20. Both lagged severely to the point I couldn't scroll through the book list. The press-and-hold menu on an individual book would take ~10 seconds to popup. Reading was fine I just couldn't get to the books to open them.

The Kindle Paperwhite (2016) refused to register any collections regardless of what I tried.

I'm currently looking at the Cybook Odyssey which appears to have the collection functionality I need, but sending it back would be problem if it doesn't. Can anyone confirm this?
The Nook Glowlight Plus which I'm a bit tentative about since most older reviews aren't that great (laggy, buggy, limited or no calibre or Adobe DRM support). And I haven't seen many newer reviews
I've also found the US Onyx Boox store but I've yet to find any reviews for them.
The Nolim and the Good eReader also seem promising but I can't confirm they have the features I need.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by cat8864; 10-12-2017 at 09:49 AM.
cat8864 is offline   Reply With Quote