View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #69
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not familiar at all with pressure cookers, but this much I do know about marketing of items. It is a not uncommon for a manufacturer to produce a device under multiple brands/labels for different markets and/or for different retailers. Just look at the now nearly extinct Radio Shack company. It was owned and operated by the Tandy Corporation. Decades ago you would see a few devices sold at RS with the Tandy label, such as their TRS-80 computer line. But a lot of the items sold in RS were branded simply Radio Shack model xyz. Those items were nearly always built by 3rd party manufacturers like Uniden and GRE and simply branded as though they were a Radio Shack made item. And today we still see this practice with a lot of manufacturers and retailers. Perhaps a manufacturer has a big hit with an item like a pressure cooker. It would not be uncommon for big box retailers to approach the manufacturer and strike up a deal with them to either re-brand that popular device under the retailer's brand or to produce a similar one, perhaps with fewer options, bells, and whistles, and brand that under the retailer's brand. This past year I was looking for some outdoor security cameras. I found some that were identical but listed under four different brand names and they were widely different in prices. I googled each and found they were all made by the same company but were marketed by different retailers.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-26-2016 at 11:53 AM.