View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #23194
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Sipping another cup of coffee, hoping time goes faster so I can go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
There is no doubt that living in the shell isn't luxurious. After I put up the walls and roof, I immediately put in the kitchen sink and bathroom features so we would have that, and had the electric company run a main line from the pole into the house. I added a couple of 'quick' lines around the house so that there would be places to plug in the power tools without running long extension cords, but then we moved in. It was messy!
We've thought about it ... We thought about renting a container to put in our back yard because it's so cheap. But in the end we decided we don't want to make it any harder than it should be. It's also not impossible financially to pay rent and pay of part of our loan at the same time.

Quote:
It was at least that long, if not longer before we were actually finished. But we use wood tongue-and-groove (knotty cedar) for the living room walls and ceiling, and a few other walls around the house, and they took time to put up and oil. Each plank had to be put up separately. Sheetrock would have been a lot faster!
Oh, we'll definitely use sheetrock! I'm not a fan of wooden paneling on the walls.

Quote:
That was my concern. I thought it was somewhat lower land in Belgium, but then I realized I was thinking of Holland instead.
Shame on you! Confusing Belgium with Holland!

The problem with our piece of land is that it isn't all that far from the scheldt, about 5 km. Hence the groundwater But even if the water wasn't there we wouldn't have chosen a basement. It's still too expensive for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Iri, sounds like a long process. You are a better person then I am. How many bedrooms are you going to have?
Three bedrooms! So there will be two little Iri's running around in the not so very distant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post

Due to yesterday being a federal holiday, I have to work 4 ten hour days to get my hours in. If I do that, I can use the federal holiday as a vaction day later in the year. Given the limited number of vacation days that I have (10 days) being able to use the Federal holidays adds 4-6 days that I can use for vacation. That is huge. Normally it is easily accomplished, you simply work on the day. Recently the person responsible for approving schedules at work has decided that you cannot work when there are not govies in the building. Since govies have federal holidays off, and cannot flex them, we are not allowed to work.

So I have a sick kid at home and I can't take him to the doctor because I need to work longer days so that I can have more vacation days to spend with my family. I am annoyed.
Poor Lucas, I hope it isn't anything too serious! 10 vacation days I have 24 and I'm complaining

Last edited by Iridal; 01-22-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote