View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #1249
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As the new FW 3.0.0 has demonstrated, there's absolutely no point in splitting this thread for newer models. Touch still keeps the pace.

So I'm going to copy my collection of requests from my pointless new models thread.

Nevertheless, what I do really think that some administrator/experienced user should do is closing this old thread and starting a brand new one (and sticky also). 84 pages of possibly obsolete requests don't seem really useful...

I start the copy (well, I've tweaked some small things):

Support for nested ToCs
Currently nested ToCs are flattened to one level. This behaviour causes that pretty detailed ToCs (with possibly a lot of effort spent in them) are converted to endless and meaningless lists of entries...

Hyphenation control interface
A good example of inconsistency here. Kepubs (ACCESS renderer) are not hyphenated by default but epubs (RMSDK renderer) are. Workarounds are possible for both if the user wants to change those behaviours (enabling hyphenation in kepubs in this thread, disabling hyphenation in epubs in this one). But they are somehow cumbersome and not suitable for an entry user of the eReader. You need some knowledge about CSS/Calibre/editing ebooks and I think this is a very important rendering option (more important than even Line Spacing available through GUI).

GoTo Page function
Even when page numbers are quite meaningless in ebooks, they are still pretty much more accurate and faster than the small sliding bar the current interface offers. (And page numbers are still shown in both kepubs and epubs).
More over, Kobo has a GoTo Page function implemented... but in collections/annotation lists...

"Soft" font type changing
Currently, if you choose a font setting but "Document Default", the WHOLE book is rendered with that font even if it has styles, embedded fonts or whatever. This behaviour is possibly OK for a lot of people, but I prefer changing fonts only where the ebook editor/author hasn't set them inside the ebook.
(Currently the font setting is like a CSS property with !important. I would like it without that flag too).
More over, because of the current behaviour you can lose information in books edited with two or more different font types.

Updated ---
Another inconsistency here. As posted here in the original pointless thread, in kepubs all the book is changed as I have just said. But in epubs it seems that only <p> contents are changed...

Control over footer/header size
(Or even being able to hide any of them). Aura HD screen is wonderful but I think that both footer and header are too big and they waste quite a lot of space in the screen. Options on their appearance would be great.

Full book management options on tiles (and inside book menu too)
If you long press on a Tile you can just open it or dismiss it. It would be really great if I could directly archive/delete/whatever the book.
More over, within the opened ebook you cannot perform some actions like deleting it. Why? I would add all the management options you have in library to the book menu.

Alphabetic scroll-bar in Library
I mean: a lateral scroll bar so you can easily jump to books with (name/author/whatever) starting by the letter xxxx. (Like in Sony book list or like your address-book in your Android smartphone).
The current available GoTo Page function is somehow quite meaningless here. Why should I want to jump to the 14th page of 37? What I really want is jumping to books (or authors or whatever) starting by "L".

Deleting books AND annotations
As posted in the Bug Thread (see this post and the next), when you delete an epub their annotations are kept stored within the device. I find this behaviour quite pointless, but, as davidfor says, other people may prefer it.
So would it be possible adding an option for "Delete (Annotations too)"?

Marking some items before performing an action
Imagine you want to archive/delete/whatever action some books/shelves/annotations. You must perform one each time and repeat the action n-times. (If you are lucky and that's what you want, sometimes you have a Delete/Archive/whatever all option).
Adding the ability to select several items before performing an action would be really great.

Sorting by Series in Library
Official kepubs, or if you use the option in Calibre KoboTouchExtended driver, allow storing series info for your books. Sorting by this info would be a great addition.
More over, Pixelpuncher has quite a good suggestions in the previous post about improvements in searches/sorting.

"Awesome" home screen search toolbar
"Awesome" as in Firefox.
Now seriously. Adding the next options (to Bookstore and Library) in the search toolbar would be great:
  • Inside the currently reading book. It would search for text or annotations within the ebook. (You can already perform this action, at least for text, from the book menu. I'm just suggesting the ability of doing it from outside the ebook).
  • Inside the whole library. Possible with a warning and asking for confirmation because I suppose it can be pretty slow with big libraries. It would work like the previous one but it will search in every single book you have.
Of course, sorting options on the results are pretty compulsory with these possible new features.

Subcollections/subshelves
As explained in this thread, the ability to create subcollections can be really interesting. In addition to their manual use, it could be used to port nearly your whole Calibre library categorization to the eReader.

Although as Helen (AKA speakingtohe ) and davidfor say, I do sadly fear that Kobo is never going to spend the effort in this feature ).

The return of the Dictionary link inside pdf book menu
With FW 3.0.0 we've lost the option to call the dictionary while reading a pdf. (At least in 2.10.0 it was available in the book menu - Bottom right corner). Now you have to go to Home > Extras menu > Dictionary and then return to your book while losing your previously set zoom ratio.

Last edited by arspr; 11-14-2013 at 04:13 PM.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote