View Single Post
Old 03-01-2024, 09:20 AM   #3530
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Currently listening to The Bee Sting by Paul Murray. I know nothing about the author, but this book being shortlisted for the Booker Prize (and a previous book of his winning the Everyman Wodehouse Prize in 2016) tipped the scales for me to risk the unknown. So far, so funny.
The writing was great, but this thing was just too damn long for its own good. It's basically the same story told multiple times from multiple points of view. I didn't really tire of the multiple retelling aspect, only the sheer length of each. I had to take multiple vacations from this audiobook to recharge a bit. There are five different narrators: three female and two male (very long stretches for each; it's not like they switch for dialogue or anything). The female narrators definitely had the advantage in keeping my interest from waning in this one.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote