View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 08:27 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll bite. I can't claim I was a good player, but I have played and understand bidding, conventions, and the strategy of the play - even if Charles Goren is rolling in his grave as I type this. So what have you got for us, partner?
OK, then I nominate Victor Mollo's Bridge in the Fourth Dimension, Further Adventures of the Hideous Hog

Quote:
The brilliant sequel to Bridge in the Menagerie, which won the hearts of bridge players 30 years ago. Improve your bridge the painless way with these hilarious and well-loved characters

Victor Mollo was one of the all time most successful contract bridge players in the UK where they play it as a blood sport. I came across Bridge in the Menagerie when I was still in college, and playing bridge to feed my family. I read it laughing out loud, rolling on the floor, totally devoured it and kept coming back for more for years until my original paperback was in tatters. That original book was long out of print but has now come back in print, but has never been converted to eBook format. However, this sequel can be read without having read the original and by those whose knowledge of bridge is no more than passing. I haven't played a hand myself in probably 15 years, but I'd love to play out the hands in this.

Length: 160 pages. A quick read, or would be except you'll probably want to actually follow out some of the hands with a deck of cards. They're enlightening as well as funny. There is no Audible version of this book, not surprisingly. And, if nothing else, it will certainly be different from anything we've read here.

Amazon US: $9.99 USD

Amazon UK: £4.79

Kobo US: $12.79

Kobo UK: £7.19

Overdrive

Last edited by CRussel; 09-21-2016 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Added Overdrive. Just for Jon.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote