View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #65
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
It depends on what you call "pretty decent." You have to compare branded boxes, with comparable quality. Not junk.

Put together something branded that's comparable to an iMac, including it's 27" IPS glass, and you'll see it's pretty good value. And it looks damned good, too.

And yes, it's true, a Mac is a little more expensive in Europe than in the US, but so is a Porsche.
You think the Porsche is more expensive where it is made than in the USA? ^^

What are 'brand boxes'? It's just a mainboard, ..., called a brand. PCs from Dell are worse than if you build it yourself (e.g. Dell's can't be overclocked).

- For an ASRock G31M-GS, G31 you pay around 32 Euro. ASRock is the sister from Asus so it's the same 'stuff' only with another name.
- Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200, 2x 2.50GHz, it's the same Core2Duo technology only with less second level cache. Well overclockable over 3,4 GHz
- 2 x 1 GB RAM DDR - 30 Euro

Even if you don't overclock you're getting a decent fast system (I made some for my friends and they are all excited to play the newest games - some have upgraded with a faster graphics card for 70 Euro).

---
And for your 'premium Apple hardware' - the iMac (especially your mentioned 27" with the 'superb display') has a lot of problems:

http://topnews.co.uk/22420-apple-rev...-imac-resolved

and it's not the first time - three years ago Apple had an advertisment that their iMac displays could display millions of colors. That was a lie the hardware was only able to show a quarter of millions. Every cheap noname pc monitor can show all the colors needed for 32 bit only Apple's displays weren't able to.

And my university iMac had a 5400rpm hardddisk - it was so slow you can't imagine ...

You see, I suspect Apple gets the cheapest of the cheapest hardware and sell's it for a premium price for cheap hardware.

So, what's a brand worth if they don't deliver the value?

Last edited by joblack; 02-21-2010 at 10:22 AM.