Thread: Library books
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #46
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
A few days ago, I took the bait. Upon reflection, I've changed my mind.

Libraries, even in Andrew Carnegie's vision, aren't here merely to provide services to those who rely on the loan of paper: it was about the content. If some budget is spent on users who engage the library over the Internet, using their own e-reader ... terrific. The object is to expand reading, access to knowledge, using the library as curator to ensure a minimum set of standards ... a robust e-book collection is not an elitist diversion but indeed fulfills the mandate and original Carnegie vision.

You make a good point. Personally, I was a little shocked that the library even offered ebooks. I'm sure they will continue to expand the selections but I can still see the bulk of the budget being spent on paper.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote