View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
Yes - another review of the 700

3rd week in - and so many books read. I'll try to cover some things I haven't seen mentioned a lot, as well as some things already covered (while trying to avoid horses which are quite dead - decomposing - and being picked apart by ravens). Also, want to focus on the things I don't want changed in the Gen2.

Button Layout: If you're like me, I hold books by the spine - leaving one hand free to grab the Dr. Pepper and/or nearby snack - the brilliance of the button placement is transparent. The page turning buttons are located near the spine and can be turned by your thumb. Whereas with the 505 or other readers this "spine-hold" would be essentially impossible. Constantly having to reach for the button with your free hand; or, holding the device by the edge - book cover flappin' in the breeze.

The less used buttons are to the right - which also makes sense.

Book Design (more of a request than a device critique): Add margins - please. I am a highlight junky. Unfortunately, without a little extra space on, at least, the right side of the page - I can't highlight if the last letter is on the edge. Instead, having to go to the "space" on the next line. Again, more of a request.

Page Turning (touchscreen): Generally - I don't use it. Sure it was neat when I first got it ("Look at what I can do!"). But, given the natural way I can hold it (see above) - I don't need to swipe-turn pages. (And, no, smudges had nothing to do with the decision.)

Highlighting/Bookmarking (touchscreen): When I read books - I dog-ear and highlight - a lot. (I had over two dozen notes just from The Picture of Dorian Gray.) The quickness and book-like methods for doing so really sold me on the 700. To dog-ear a real book - you just reach down and crease the page. With the 700 - double-tap the corner. To highlight I would grab the nearest highlighter, pen, crayon - and underline the text. With the 700 grab the stylus (highlighter); select the highlighter in notes mode (I usually stay in this mode - taking the cap off); and, highlight the text - done.

So much smoother and "realistic" than using a joystick to move a cursor around.

Annotation (touchscreen): The other thing that sold me on the 700 - no permanent keyboard to get in the way. Even though I take notes a lot - I don't want to be staring at a keyboard while Nemo is claiming Antarctica; or, Dorian is basking in his own glory.

Just like the pen I use to write in the margins goes away when I don't need it - so should the keyboard. And, the fact that the keyboard caches not only keystrokes - but whole words - means that my typing speed is about the same as that when I'm sending text messages on an iPhone or my Alias.

Form Factor: It's smaller than a DVD case. Enough said really.

Corner Magnets: I like that the case has metal inlays which clamp it shut due to the internal magnets of the 700.

Sleep Mode: Use it all the time. A quick flip - e-ink and light go away. Another - and it's back - right where I left it (without the lights).

Current Page: I enjoy that the last page I was on is also stored. If I open a book in progress - it's on the last page I was on. And, the home screen has a quicklink to the last book I was reading.

Basically, the short and tall of it is, this thing has a lot going for it - and was worth the price of admission.

Sony could probably stop with major changes by Gen2. Like special effects in movies - good design is done when you don't even notice it was done. And, regarding 90% of the 700 - you wouldn't notice the design thought/process/considerations behind it. Sure, there are a couple of aspects which deal with implementation (density of touchscreen - for example) - but, as far as replicating the other aspects of reading a "normal" book - pretty much spot on.

And, not to mention, but I will anyway, they're playing well with others to get this technology, as a whole, adopted - Google, Borders (to let people see the device), and Barnes and Noble (who own Fictionwise and eBooks).

Thanks goes to the folks at Sony who, at least appear to have, considered the way people interact with books first; rather, than the closest technological cousin (PDA) when developing the 700.

Cheers,
J
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote