View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Over-using the word "then" as an action separator in my early writings was a big issue for me, and I'm still un-writing it from manuscripts when I catch myself doing it now. I'm not sure I've ever actually had the semi-colon fetish, but I've come close, and regularly find myself rewriting text in order to share the load between semi-colons, M-dashes, ellipses and the occasional set of parentheses.

I think over-using words probably should have been in that list. I'd also be tempted to add overuse of atypical sentence structures, which can be a nice personal signature when used occasionally and appropriately, but can be jarring and annoying when used too often.

(And I actually can't think of a good example right now... if I think of one later, I'll edit it in.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote