View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 05:20 AM   #1
kdm_
kdm_ began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Angry V1.9 update fail. Now I have a rock...

I couldn't get the update for the Kobo Wi-Fi via Wi-Fi because it could not connect to my net as I don't broadcast an ssid. The V1.9 update was supposed to solve that and a number of other issues. I plugged in the usb cable and did an update via the desktop Kobo app. I had to force it via "Control + Shift + U".

Now the device will not start correctly; it displays the initial startup screen, but after the seven blocks start flashing in the lower right corner nothing else happens.

Windows can no longer see the reader unless I do a "power + menu" into usb mode. At that point the desktop Kobo software can't find the reader but windows can see a directory called ".kobo_upgrade".

I've read here about Kobo sending out SD card upgrades but I am not about to wait 2 weeks to see if that works. I first bought a non Wi-Fi version of the Kobo from Future Shop. It locked up on a cover image and could not be cleared by any means. I was convinced to exchange it for a Wi-Fi version at twice the price and this is the result.

So. Is there anything I can do for this thing in the next 24 hours like download an up to date OS image? From what I have gleaned from about 3 hours on this forum I doubt that. If not, I will have return this doorstop for refund (I'd really like to use it as a football and kick it up and down the alley but I can't afford to do that) and find something else. Alternative device suggestions are welcome. I can't imagine I could have made a worse choice.
kdm_ is offline   Reply With Quote