View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No, I'd not insert any dotless i character such as ı that's not at the i position in the font.
I'd read the Wikipedia article and various ones on Et / & / 7, thanks.
I've got a load of Gaelic fonts and some that are Celtic styles. Most of the more accurate ones don't seem to work in even the most lax epub viewer and some not even in LibreOffice writer. We used a Bunchló font years ago and it's less than ideal. I don't use it now.

I think the best solution might be to edit and rename some free fonts so the ı is at the i position. Then search, text to speech and font fallback works. Similarly with the old insular styled r, s, d, f, g, t, though often the a, d, f g and t are replaced by the insular/ old Irish styles in the regular position. Using a font where the old style r, s, d, f, g, t, and dot-less i are additional characters and not replacing the regular ones causes [] on fall back, difficulty in search (can't be entered!) and issues with some text to speech.

However ebooks in the past have been worse for non-latin-roman other than a few extra characters for many versions of kindle (no Asian, full Greek, Arabic, Hebrew or Cyrillic) and it was a solved problem maybe 15 years earlier. Typical careless US-centric software.

It's purely for stylistic effect in a few passages. I'm not going to publish actual complete old Irish or Scottish texts! My family members that are fluent in Irish can't easily read pre 1948 Irish! The 16th C or older (old Irish, never mind 11th C Insular) is probably harder for a native Irish speaker than Chaucer for English speakers, though I find it helps a little to read Chaucer out loud.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote