View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
I'm trying to duplicate the original hardcover formatting, and that's the way it was. It's a fairly common format in printed books.

It's nice that we can change the base font so that it is most readable on our device, but other than that, I try to keep the original styling of the first-edition hardcover, since that's usually where the most thought went about how the author and publisher wanted it to look.

Also, if you move it to the left, you force the dateline to move up, instead of being on the same line. That's also a very nice bit of styling, and losing it would really make the book much less unique. Having every book styled exactly the same makes them bland.
It won't work in all cases because you are missing something very important. What you are missing is that some people need or want a large font size. It's possible that the large font size could cause this not to work. eBooks are not pBooks where everything is fixed at a fixed size. You need to take into account the fact that the font could be changed, the font size could be changed, the margins could be changed, and the line height could be changed. You have to make an eBook work as an eBook and the styling used in the hardcover doesn't work for an eBook. I know for sure that my Kobo Aura H2O's font size settings can be set large enough that this formatting will fail. That and it does look awful. Whoever designed the formatting didn't take into account aesthetics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote