View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Very nice regex info in this thread, thanks guys.

I guess those of us who use embedded small-caps fonts instead of gambling on support for "transform" and "font-variant" are going to have to mend our ways.

Edit to add: For the lead-in on a new chapter, I usually use all-caps styled for .7em bold, following a large drop-cap or large initial cap. I use the small-caps font for stuff inline in other text, such as "signatures" or signs, etc.
I wish I'd seen this thread when it started. We had a series of go-rounds with a publisher about this nearly...two years ago? Who also wanted what they first called a 'drop cap' and ended up being ye olden Raised Initial, which would have been all well and good, but it was a RI with a set of smallcaps, (as in the original part of the discussion) and after MUCH going-round, the long and short of it is, in ADE, that simply does not work, and it's a bastard on Nooks. You either get the world's hinkiest broken lines/words (it hyphenates in the most bizarre places), or, if you set hyphenation: off, you end up with something looking a bit like this:

B
i
l
f
o
r
d

C
h
u
r
c
h

(Assume all the non-bolded letters are smallcaps). OR, the first word is aligned horizontally, but the next one is as you see the example. We tried everything, and even consulted with both Josh and Liz about it. Something in ADE's software just...don't like it, nohow, noway. Whatever the issue is, it's a dog to make work, no matter what you do with those smallcaps/smallcap variants, faux smallcaps, etc. Now, I haven't tried it since 2.0, I don't think...but man, it was the pits back then. I don't think I've given it a whirl since, as it was a lot of fuss for something fairly minor.

FWIW.
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote