View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Posted on the Penguin site ....

As to Mr. Hornby's various points:

1. Book readers like reading. Many of us live in spaces too small for a large collection of books. For us, ebooks are a perfect solumtion.

2. None of us own e-books. Not a problem, since thousands of the classics are available for free on the internet. Or ... perhaps you were unaware of that fact??

3. "We" don't buy many books. Not certain who you are referring to. I didn't used to purchase many books because I had no more room to store them all (and I have a good sized library). Since purchasing my Kindle, I have read 4 books in the past 2 weeks, bought at least 14, and downloaded (for free) another 100.

4. Book lovers are "late adopters." Another unsupported generalization. I am a book lover. I always have been. I've also been building computers from scratch for the past 20 years. I purchased my first ebook reader several years ago (the first Rocket Ebook), and I have always been an early adopter.

5. Some of us don't always like to watch tv or listen to music. Some of us actually enjoy reading. And, there are even people who like to have a choice in their entertainment. And ... big shock here ... not everybody liked the Sopranos. The iPod is not going to decrease my reading ... at least not now that I have my Kindle with me everywhere I go. I might even listen to music while I read. What a concept.

6. I would be willing to hazard that a survey of 2000 adults would find they can't locate India on a map of the world. Perhaps if they had learned to read in school, they'd know a little more about the world outside of the little patch of earth on which they live.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote