View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #52
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Don't kid yourself... your product is just as easy to "give away" regardless of who's doing the selling. The various DRM schemes can be simpler or more complicated, but they've all been broken... with the exception of Apple's Fairplay DRM (which I'm sure would change if iBooks were to suddenly become more competitive in the ebook game). So if security to keep your product "safe" from being given away is your number one priority, you'd be better served going exclusively through iBooks. It's just not possible (at the moment) to bypass their DRM. Just remember that obscurity is much more damaging to an author's chances than casual sharing ever could be.
I understand the copyright protection systems on many levels. (I won't go any further than that in discussing that subject since the moderators seem very sensitive about it.)

My situation is this. I have a good day job, and I have an interest in writing which potentially could be a better day job. Even an ideal day job.
I have had some small success in it but then I must consider whether my financial obligations can be met that way. I don't know if that is the case. I have gotten a lot of encouragement, but I realize that the people encouraging me are looking at me like a racehorse that might one day be a real winner but I am only one potential winner that they are trying to put in their stables.

One thing I am doing now is working on two (maybe three) screenplays. They are easier to protect in a sense, and you can figuratively keep them in your back pocket and tailor them for clients. I seem to have at least one good prospect, but I am a cautious skeptical guy and won't believe it until they announce a casting list and a shooting schedule.

And while I ponder all the various possibilities, I am learning the writing trade and here on this and other forums learning about the readers as well.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote