Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #243
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's not voting for the book you want. That's voting based on what someone else wants.

Now lets say we have 20 people total. Let's say 8 people have voted and one book has 7 votes and one has 1 vote and the rest have none. If the vote is open, these remaining people might not vote for what they wanted based on the way the votes are going making it seem like the one with 7 is going to be the winner. Now if the vote was hidden, these remaining voters could vote enough for a different book to make it the winner.

And the fact that some have openly said they sometimes vote based on what others have have and/or how many votes case means an open vote doesn't work properly.
First, you're confusing two issues. In an open vote where we can see names, no one is voting out of spite no matter what they might say. Get over it.

The bigger issue reminds me of politics where a certain party claims that its way allows for individuality, but in reality it means only so long as you conform to its norms.

People can vote for what they want for whatever reason they want. Who is anyone to criticize someone else's reasons? Dressing up an "analysis" in words like best, fairest, proper, etc., etc., is just so much bs. Unfair might be scheduling a vote for 2 AM to 5 AM east coast time in North America, or for Tom to accept some "absentee" votes and not others. In an open vote, everyone has the same chance to time his/her vote, whether to vote early and try to establish support or to wait and pick one's preference out of the viable options.

I understand there are reasons for preferring a closed vote. Some people like a surprise, like waiting for the birth to find out the sex of a baby. Some think it gives better odds to long shots, but this has not been proved. It might be true; it might make no real difference. I suspect nothing can save a true long shot and the reason it doesn't get early or late votes is because people don't want to read it, but I don't care. I'd rather have the fun of an open vote, where people can keep checking back and campaign for serious contender. The more involvement, the higher the interest level and a more vibrant book group.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote