View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #19
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Gregg, why in all the hells would you do that? Why would you be deleting the REQUIRED "xml stuff"? I realize that you say that the copy-paste is bringing along the Doctype declaration, etc., but, WHY delete what's there? Why aren't you pasting over it, if indeed the copied material has the requisite "stuff"? Honestly, you are ASKING for errors like that.
Hitch, I was taking one individual html file from one .epub and transferring it to another. So say, I took the "Leave A Review" file from a previous book. So I open a blank html file in the latest .epub, delete what's there. Go to the old .epub. Copy what's there. And paste that into the blank html. I'm figuring the xml stuff is the same and I didn't even know I could 'paste over' what is there. So you're saying open the blank file, leave the xml stuff, copy the old stuff, come back to the new file and just paste?

I've done that with files of course but then I get the 'do you want to replace this file?' But that's with files, not with what's inside the file.

And as long as the file passes epub check (which they always do) what's wrong with doing it my way?

Quote:

You know, I've been "in" computers since 1975. Oh, not like some of the guys here; I'm no steely-eyed programmer. But I started with 80-column punch cards, in '75, and I've been involved with them in one form or another since that time. Everything from developing early word processing applications, to installing Basic4 mini-computer networks in hotels, to what I do now, and in all that time, Gregg--in 42 years--I've never, never seen anything go back and eat a saved file. Never. Not this side of a disk crash, of course.

Yes, I agree with you, it seems impossible.
Totally agree. Upon further reflection I think what happened was what Kevin suggested. I was saving the file and that lost everything. Like the screen froze. I realized I didn't have functionality so not wanting to lose anything I quick went to save it.

Quote:

Also: I don't understand what it is you are copy-pasting. If it's your book, don't you just export it to HTML, and then open that HTML in Sigil?

Don't delete the head material. Just...paste over it, IF you truly have the same material in the copied stuff.
Hopefully I explained that earlier. And yeah, I go from .odt to .html to Sigil.
Quote:
I gotta say, I think there's a perfectly good ePUB, someplace, on your computer. What you say does sound completely impossible.

Hitch
The file is fine now. I just went back and re-did the work.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote