View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Ok, my wife has requested a eBook reader. After looking around, I think Sony offers the best value for what it is, even with its limitations.

So, I noted that there is a new version of the Reader. I took a look at one at my local SonyStyle store and thought it was quite nice.

But today I stopped into my local Costco and noticed that they are still selling the 500. They sell it at $249 with $50 CONNECT credit, so it is a $100 value over the 505.

The question is, are the benefits of the 505 worth more than $100?

Jason
If you are in the USA, the 505 will cost you a bit less then the Gen3. With the gen3, you pay $350 and then $23 shipping. You do not get a case of any kind unless you order one to go with it and that ups the cost.

The 505 supports BBeB and the gen3 supports Mobipocket. The thing is, you can purchase books at the Sony Connect store or you can purchase MS Reader format books and use ConvertLIT to remove the DRM and then use lit2lrf to convert VERY VERY easily and you'll have books with NO DRM. So basically, you have more of a choice of books available via the Sony Connect Store and MS Reader format books.

Book Designer will create books for the 505 or Gen3. There are lots of books for the 505 in LRF and Mobpocket format (PRC). So getting lots of free books is easy.

As for the 500 vs. the 505, I know for a fact that your wife would enjoy the 505 better then the 500. I had a 500 and now I have a 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote