View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 12:25 AM   #9
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
From a practical standpoint, 300 dpi in k2pdfop and 72 dpi in Quartz usually looks alright on my Mac, but not on the Kindle. I'm going to have to re-evaluate how I handle pdfs, so I can export readable versions to the Kindle without taking excessive space on the Mac.

Willus:

(1) Most applications allow users to export to pdf, or to print, where the print menu allows another chance to export to pdf.

(2-A) If you open a pdf in Preview, it allows users to export (not export to pdf), and pick pdf and pick a Quartz filter from the menu there. The existing Reduce File Size filter is unduly aggressive but there are instructions, somewhere, on how to create new filters.

(2-B) If you use Automator, one of its tools allows users to apply a Quartz filter to a selected pdf.

(2-C) If you use compression apps, these allow users to apply a Quartz filter to a selected pdf. These usually come with their own Quartz filters. PDFToolkit+ has lossless, 300 dpi, 150 dpi, 72 dpi, and minimal filters, among other tools.

Last edited by MarjaE; 09-08-2017 at 12:29 AM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote