View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
Just tried v1.20. Working fine on my desktop.
I had a problem not being able to open epub files on my local disk with v1.11. the problem still exists.
Ah okay. What exactly was the problem? The file is not processed, but the download dialog is opened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
Another problem: The next page button (the green button on the lower bar) will respond to level 1 contents, but won't respond to level 2 contents. That means, if I am reading a page of TOC level 1, when I click the next page button, EPUBReader will present its next sibling. I can't get the same result if I am reading a page of TOC level 2.
Short explanation
Green buttons navigate through ePub "spine" linear from beginning to end, TOC links to any locations in the ePub and is separat from green buttons.

Long explanation
Here is a explanation how TOC and the green buttons work

The green buttons at the bottom navigate through the ePub-file according to the "spine" defined in the ePub. This is the linear way from start to end through the epub. If you use the green buttons, it's like you open the book at the first page and read it page after page.

In the TOC you find links to any pages which the author decided to be worth linking. Normally these are the book chapters but it can be any place in the ePub. Level 2 TOC entries are normally subchapters which are just anchors in a level 1 page. If you use the TOC, it's like you lookup the TOC in a book, open a location referenced in the TOC which can anywhere in the book and jump directly to this location.

What happens in your case?

If you click on a level 1 entry in TOC, you jump normally to a page which has a 1:1 correlation to a page in spine. If you click on the green button, it just jumps to the next page in spine.

If you click on a level 2 entry in TOC, you jump normally to an anchor which has no 1:1 correlation to a spine page. But this anchor is on a page which has a level 1 entry in the TOC and this page has a 1:1 correlation to a page in spine. If you click on the green button, it checks which page in spine correlates to the page you selected by clicking the level 2 entry in TOC and jumps to the next page in spine.

Why is it done like this?

Before I implemented it like this, I discussed it with Jon Noring, who is one of the main contributors to the ePub specification. He explained what the purpose of spine and TOC are and he confirmed it would be a good idea to implement it like this.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote