View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #35
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastelander View Post
Also are the dictionaries built into these readers? if im reading a book and want to know the meaning of a word, will I get an instant definition or does it need to connect to the internet?
Inline dictionaries are the ones which are usually included with the reader and which give you definitions the moment you select a word. On my Kindle Keyboard, the only two choices are American and British English, whereas on my Sony Reader, I have multiple language dictionaries. However, later firmware updates for more recent Kindle models (such as the Kindle Touch) seem to include more languages. I'd look into multiple inline dictionaries on the Kobo, which might well have them.

The Wikipedia option is there for looking up information on the web, but I haven't used it since first trying out my Kindle, as web surfing with the majority of e-readers tends to be frustrating. What tend to be more useful are note-taking apps, which are available on the Sony and Kindle.

Quote:
The kindle is currently £89 as its been for "time out of mind" and the Kobo Touch is £79 whereas it started off at £110. The Kobo was released in May 2011 and with May around the corner is it worth waiting for the newer model potentially being released?
Readers with newer features are being released all around. There's going to be a lighted Kindle, for example, which, like the new Nook ST Glow, will have a switchable light within the screen that allows for less accessory-driven reading in the dark.

If you can afford to wait, there's no harm. For one thing, the models you might be satisfied with now will either get cheaper or be available refurbished in numbers as people who want the latest return the readers they've just bought.

Quote:
My main liking of the Kindle are the page turn buttons and those 'read it kindle' apps for chrome that you send wiki articles to the device, as far as i'm aware the Kobo has nothing like this, right and the only way to read wiki would be to connect to the internet? Or can the Kobo save articles for offline reading?
First, Kobo does have dedicated apps for smartphones, laptops &tc.

Second, using the e-book conversion and library management application Calibre (which is available for all platforms and all readers you're considering) will allow you to not only read articles from the web in e-book form but download subscriptions to them regularly.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote