View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Installing Yifan Lu's Launcher on Kindle Touch 5.03

I know all this is already here but I had a heck of a time sorting it all out and thought I would put it here in as simple language as I could manage. I installed it on a Kindle Touch with the 5.03 update. I was holding my breath a few times but it worked without difficulty. I was connected to a computer running Windows 7.

1. Download Kindle Launcher 1.01 from http://yifan.lu/p/kindlelauncher/

2. Download Kindle 4/Touch Jailbreak 1.1 from http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-touch-jailbreak/ (Download link is at bottom of page. Click it, not right click.)

3. Install the Jailbreak first. Unzip the Jailbreak download. Follow the INSTALLATION instructions on the Jailbreak download page. Method 1 worked perfectly for me.
a. Keep all the other files on your computer. You may need them to uninstall the jailbreak someday.
b. Don't do the next step until you have successfully done the jailbreak.

4. Unzip the Launcher file on your computer. Hook up to the Kindle via USB. Go to the root directory of the Kindle. If a folder named extensions does not exist (didn't on mine) create it. I presume it is important that it be all lower case.
a. copy the launcher install .bin file into the root directory.
b. click into the src folder (on your PC) and then into the extensions folder.
c. copy the contents of the PC extensions folder into the Kindle extensions folder.
d. eject the Kindle usb.
e. on the Kindle go to Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Update Your Kindle.

5. This is where I ended up holding my breath. Kindle appears to reset, hesitate, reset, restart, etc. for a minute or so. Then it finally comes up normal.

6. Touch the Menu. There should be a new entry that says Launcher. Touch that and get two choices" Orientation and Start USB Network. I haven't tried the USB Network but Orientation works fine. It does not change the book menus but it rotates what you read.

7. In landscape there is an issue with losing characters on the right margin. I think I have seen a solution somewhere here but have not gotten back to that. Just thrilled that I have landscape.
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote