View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #17
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcloude View Post
That's pretty much how I thought it would be. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

And I'm also guessing there's no way to make each Calibre installation look independent and unique, so they're not all lumped together under the same application umbrella.
The issues are identical I believe to the LibraryThing plugin. An "application" is identified by a "devkey". You could try to apply for multiple devkeys, but as stated in the LibraryThing thread it wouldn't take them long to figure out what was going on and likely just complicate the devkey process which currently is nicely simple.
Quote:
You'd think the goodwill from users and Calibre bringing them more readers to check the site out would be a benefit, but I guess not.
From a Calibre perspective we like to think that However I can't think of a genuine reason why a Calibre user will feel the need to open a Goodreads account only because they now get some ratings, book covers or whatever when they download metadata for a book. How many people opened librarything.com accounts (until they were forced to!)? Or if you were forced to open an account, how many people have regularly if at all gone back to librarything since they signed up?

I think it would require a direct approach from Kovid to gain approval for a metadata download plugin and justify the benefits to them. However given we have a "working" alternative from Amazon that does most of what people need I don't think there is any real priority on doing that. IMHO it is a "nice to have" to fill gaps in Amazon's data - it would be great but not critical to using Calibre today.

OTOH creating features that interact with the social aspects of the Goodreads site do I believe create reasons for Calibre users to register and visit their website and is hopefully easier to justify. After all page visits are what such sites live and die on. Hopefully this "shelve" based plugin will survive in that space.

Last edited by kiwidude; 02-01-2011 at 06:33 PM.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote