View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
To check out what you suggest I would have to publish a book that might not be right, and then buy it, and that seems like throwing money away... Or is there another way?
MobiUnpack (stand-alone or plugin) will split a hybrid mobi/kf8 into its individual components. There's no guarantee that the resulting file would be 100% identical to what would be produced by the KDP process (although I suspect it's as close as reverse-engineering efforts can get), but if the issue "goes away" on the KF8-only file, it could narrow down where to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wasn't there a post, somewhere around here, that KG was inserting two "text" Guide items, and that popping the OPF open and removing the second reference solved the issue? And not using "Start" other than as the title? I know that KG has, on a number of occasions, produced two "start" (text) locations for us via Previewer. This seems to resolve when the book is uploaded to KDP.
I was never quite sure if KG was adding two text Guide items, or if that was a glitch produced by whatever tool I used to unpack the MOBI. There's a bit of a catch-22 there, though. One has to unpack the mobi in order to see if there's an extra text Guide item (let alone be able to remove that extra guide item from the OPF) ... but if KG is responsible for adding two text guide items, it's going to put both right back when one rebuilds the MOBI.

I do suspect KG is responsible, though. If only because I have a pretty firm grip on the mobi_unpack code (and also because I don't believe a calibre-built KF8 [hybrid or stand-alone] exhibits the same behavior).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-27-2012 at 10:02 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote