View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
You get two WSHes

With Windows Vista there are two meanings for the WSH acronym. First is the old Windows Scripting Host. The second is Windows Service Hardening! Doesn't that just make you want to ROTFL?

I don't expect much change, if any, in the WSH because change would be more likely to appear in the scripting languages, VBScript and jscript (Microsoft's javascript), themselves. Such change would be slow and asynchronous with Vista. Basically WSH provides an interface that lets you make Windows jump through hoops using vbscript, jscript and a host of others. The first two languages are already in place. The others need to be installed if you want them.

You can make WSH host script languages like perl. See The ActiveState site: http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/ for perl, python or tcl. ActiveState lets you download distributions of perl, python and tcl complete with documentation -- for free!

Other languages are availble to be hosted by WSH. Just google "Rexx WSH" for example. For more ideas about WSH, look here: http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html

What is great about WSH is that it gives you a way to write simple programs to accomplish the tasks you need done. It is a blessing for those of us who grew up on BASIC. Jscript is close enough to C that the C programmers will be happy with it.

To get started, just get some sample code in your favorite editor. Open the devguru site mentioned before, and start changing the code little by little. I keep a command prompt open to execute the script. WSH puts a complaint in a requester box if I make a mistake. It tells me the offending line and character number and a hint at the nature of my offense.

There are development GUIs available too if you care to try them. I was in a hurry, so I just used the native tools. I like it simple.

If WSHes were HRSes . . .
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote