View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #97
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Schools "force" kids to read stuff they don't like all the time. Why should a class that happens to use famous works of fiction as textbooks be any different in that regard? I'm still just not quite understanding why so many people are of the opinion that a literature class should receive some sort of special dispensation that no other subject gets: namely, the students' personal likes/dislikes having any sort of bearing on the choice of texts?
While I agree with you to some extent, I also have to ask, "Why Shakespeare?" Aren't there more modern playwrights who make the same points Shakespeare made in a easier to understand language? Teachers and curriculums can get so hidebound. Is there nothing similar to The Great Gatsby from today's writers? Will Catcher in the Rye be taught for the next five hundred years?
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote