View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostcall View Post
I figured it was a data only connection. I guess my question would be if there is a way to dialup the kindle and send it some data.
No. It doesn't pick up any incoming calls if it even has a telephone number.

It connects to a private Amazon Whispernet network using 3G data which has proxies and a firewall which only allows web access.

In theory you could make something which runs on the Kindle that tunnels over a HTTP connection to a server you control out on the internet. You could then backup your items that way but it isn't going to be very fast and Amazon will probably notice you uploading a large amount of data since a regular Kindle won't do that ever.

A better option would be to do something via WiFi to be honest. Amazon don't get involved and it will be significantly quicker than trying to do it over 3G. The downside is that you only get a backup when you're at home or have a WiFi connection.

You could get a basic WiFi backup going with rsync and some scripts. You'll have to be careful so you don't completely drain the Kindle battery though. Its relying on the Kindle being idle most of the time to get the rated battery life.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote