View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #30
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
I am confused about the ipad as an ereader. I have books from Kobo, Sony, Barnes and Noble, Books on Board etc. It seems like there is an app for almost everything on the ipad. Are all the books stored and able to be viewed in one location or do I need to open the kobo app to read a book from there, and the Barnes and Noble (or whatever ) app to read a book purchased from them. What if they were all drm free would they show up in one place? My books are mostly epubs, but I do have some pdf's and Lits. How does this work? I don't need another device but it sure is pretty LOL
If the books are DRMed, you would have to open them in the Apps that they are tied to..but, in most cases, that is done for you within the App itself: The Kindle App will have your purchased books already in the App ready to download, or you can send them from Amazon directly to your iPad's Kindle App. Kobo and Barnes and Noble are similar-you can't actually use their apps to open any books EXCEPT the ones you bought in their respective stores.

If the books are not DRMed, you have a few more choices, depending on what format you choose. You can use iBooks for PDFs and ePubs, Stanza for a variety of formats, etc...

But, to answer your main question-in general, the iPad is App-centric when it comes to file management. Each app keeps books within its own little domain, and there isn't a lot of sharing/mixing going on, and no central location for books to be pooled to read with whatever app you want.

(Some third parties are exploring using third party solutions such as Dropbox to store/share/access files from more than one app, but it isn't that widespread..yet. For example, Goodreader is a PDF reader that can access PDFs stored in a Dropbox folder)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote