View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #1216
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Thanks much for your Sony Tablet S re-review. Because of it, I bought the Tablet S and like it, though I don't really have the knowledge to compare it to any other 10" tablet.

I had followed your reviews closely and saw that at first you didn't like the Tablet S. Most other users' complaints were of a weak wi-fi (luckily, mine is very strong) and an easily-scratched screen (my Sony-refurubished one came with the Sony screen protector applied and an insert saying so, so they must be aware of this problem). I believe the SD slot is now integrated in the Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3) Android version--at least I see no separation in the apps I've used so far.

I also like the dock for easier charging (it easily drops in the dock, as opposed to a slight bit of difficulty putting on the bare connector), and the host USB dongle accessory, which has allowed me to connect an old folding USB keyboard. The Sony case is nice too, because it's fairly stiff, though it has no place to store anything else. Sony USA had the case and dock on sale, each for $10, so their purchase was a no-brainer.

Thanks again for sharing all your valuable info!
Hi,
glad to help. And great that you like your Sony tablet S.
I use mine mainly as a reader. I find the form factor extremely convenient. Way more convenient than the "sharp" curved edges of iPad for example.

I'm not perfectly fine with the screen. I've got Sony Tablet P for comparison. On tablet P, the black is extremely dark. Sony calls it "True Black", like with their TVs. On Sony tablet S, I find the colors have a slight yellow saturation. I've checked some other units in German Saturn Market. They all appear the same to me. But as always, this may be in the eye of the beholder.

Re. the SD card:
There seems to be a hack to use the SD card, by linking the OS from the USB memory to the SD card. Then App2SD should work. But out of the box, even after updating to ICS, there are 3 areas of memory: Internal storage, USB storage and SD card. I guess, they (same with Samsung Galaxy Note for example) separate the internal memory into "internal" and "USB", to reserve some room for crucial apps or something like that. But the -extremely annoying- side effect: All apps and internal commands linking to "SD" actually direct to the USB storage. Meaning: Still no App2SD (but App2USB, which is very limited) .
I can live with that, as I don't have many games on my tablet S and mainly use it for reading.
But would it be my sole tablet, I'd definitely run into storage problems.
What I don't understand: On Sony tablet P, it's working perfectly.
Here Sony even states in the specs "4GB". Actually it's 2 GB internally and another 2GB on the original MicroSD (I'm using 64GB now instead). I don't quite get the benefit of this separation into "internal" and "USB". But like I wrote before: Samsung Galaxy Note has the same, so it's not Sony-specific and seems to have some benefit...

I'm eagerly waiting for the Microsoft tablets now. I have the (outdated but still great) Fujitsu Stylistic ST6012. In some areas, no other tablet can compete with a Windows Slate. Yes: Screen rotation is slow, Windows 7 is a bit less convenient. But having a full blown file system and being able to operate Office or Newsleecher = priceless!

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-27-2012 at 07:44 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote