View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Favorite Apps (...and that neat app you just found)

I've had an iPod touch for two months now, and it's become an integral part of my daily routine.

Is there a favorite apps thread? If not, maybe we can use this one...

I don't tweet, but I use Twitterrific to keep up with the news...I liked its list feature better than the other Twitter apps.

I find Reeder to be an excellent Google Reader client. Like Twitterrific, I use it everyday.

Instapaper lets me carry the web with me, even when I am without WiFi, by allowing me to download the articles that I've found from Reeder and Twitterrific and have them stored on my device.

The developer of Instapaper made a philosophical choice that I disagree with, so I also have his main competitor, Read It Later on my device. I like it a great deal too.

I use Wunderlist for keeping track of to-do's. I don't enter much data on the device itself into the Wunderlist app... I tend to treat it as read only and check-off-when-done. I use paper to list things out, and then I move it to Wunderlists website which features free syncing to the device. Paper tends to get lost, but it's the best way for me to do long-range free-form thinking.

I use PlainText to keep text notes. It syncs them to Dropbox when I enter WiFi access. I actually use this both ways -- I jot quick things down on the iPod Touch into theapp, and I drop entire documents I've created in Word, in text format, into it via Dropbox. Works flawlessly. The only formatting they have is spaces and carriage returns, but it works for what I use it for. I have a whole directory structure in Dropbox that's developed around this tool on my iTouch, and I'm surprised how much I use it.

Yes, I use the Dropbox app.

I have not found a calendar good enough to replace what Apple gave me with the device. I read some reviews, but with my email and contacts also connected to my Gmail account, it just works.

I found podcast streamer that I like called Audiopress. I'm musing over the Pro version for $2.99, because it actually download the podcasts. I don't connect my device to iTunes very often, so that would be useful. But I think I'm supposed to get this functionality natively in iOS5, and I have to research that.

I use a service called Site to Phone to send links to the device, but it's cludgy and doesn't work as well as I'd like. But it works. I'll have to find a replacement.

I have a Folder with Stanza, iBooks, the Overdrive App. Bluefire, Kindle and Audible in it. I use all of them, but probably the Kindle app the most.

Those are the main ones. I have a page of fun games I've found for free. Of course there is the ubiquitous Word with Friends, but I also nabbed the Scrabble app on sale, I enjoy HangmanFree and a few others...

What about you?

One annoyance is that some of the apps don't auto-update when I'm in WiFi range. Some only seem to do so if I manually open them one by one. I wish it was more like my PC. Maybe it's settings...I'll have to investigate more.

Another annoyance is the screen-size. I'd pay the premium for something approaching a 4" screen.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote