View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by csridharbasis View Post
This is the project where I received ePub file from the client and need to upload to Smashwords. I removed non-ASCII and Calibre-bookmarks.txt errors.
1) Is there any solution to clear Toc error(or .ncx) of ePub using Calibre?
2) How to modify Toc either (ePub) or (docx converted from ePub) using Calibre or any other tool for SW?
I'm sorry, but...I freely admit, I don't comprehend your business model, or how this happened. If your client is giving you an unusable ePUB, send it back. How's it your fault, if the client made a non-standard ePUB? Tell them to give you an ePUB that works. That file is a MESS. There's no magic way to clean it. Looks like hours of work to me. (If that's a client, why did you tell Smashwords that "someone made it for you" and you "weren't happy about it?" Is this one of those, "my buddy did this for me" situations? You're telling us it's a client, and telling Smashwords that it's your file, but someone else made it for you?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
How did the client create the epub - very few authors write their manuscripts in XHTML.
Exactly. From what I see, it would be easier to take the Word file and reconvert it, rather than clean that mess. My business declines to accept fixer-uppers, for this very reason; it's NEVER faster to fix someone else's mess than it is to just do it right in the first place.

Quote:
Try to get the manuscript format. It's often easier to work on the source of a problem rather than some intermediate artefact.
Agreed, absolutely.

Quote:
However, meantime the Calibre and Sigil ePub editors have built in ToC tools and they also have validation plugins you should probably use before submitting the epub to SW.

BR
Yeah, lotsa luck with that. From a very quick glance, it looks like someone tried to 'write' html or css that has absolutely no understanding of it. Look at those errors. Made-up attribute names, unclosed elements and tags, body tags, image tags, etc., all in unallowed spots...no. IMHO, it'll cost the OP more to get someone to fix that mess than it would to START OVER.

I'm not trying to be harsh--I'm just telling you, you're wasting time trying to fix a file that's this screwed-up. You clearly don't know HTML or CSS, which means, YOU cannot fix it. There are no apps that will fix it for you, so...you can't get there from here. Start over with a Word file, and put it through SW, and see what happens.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote