View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #11
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I'm afraid that's beyond my limited Python skills.
Well put the idea in your back pocket. :P

I also wanted to get these thoughts out there, and see what others thought on this Spelling/Grammar situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I went away and read up on the Editor Pane, it looked interesting.
Not much even shows up in a search. I found it buried in a single line in one of the changelogs.

Sometimes they call it an "Editor Pane", other times an "Editor Overview Pane" or "Editor" (this last one isn't helpful AT ALL for search!):

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...5ecf039?auth=1

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...rs=en-US&ad=US

And even a lot of their official posts are inconsistent.

Quote:
PS; Office 365 Word has an option to opt-out of so-called Intelligent Services. I don't know if or how it works or not. Maybe if you opt out they broadcast a message to the Intelligence Services.
And the new Editor Pane won't work if you disable "Intelligent Services" (from the 2nd link above):

Quote:
Not seeing Editor?

Requirements and availability of Editor include the following:

Internet connection: Make sure your connection is working.

Intelligent Services switched on: Go to File > Options > General and turn on Office Intelligence Service.
If you enable that, you also agree to share your info with them:

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

Quote:
So I have it on a 1 month trial, I'll be responding based on my limited usage of it.
Nice, let us know how it works. The information about it is pretty sparse online:

There are only ~9500 hits for "Editor Pane" + "Microsoft Word", most of it was articles parroting off the same talking points from Microsoft's blog. No real info, just the same copied/pasted paragraphs.

And even Microsoft's blog barely has any info on it. And the handful of pages I found discussing the Editor Pane were all over the place (there was even a post+video from February announcing it and showing off its functionality... and the video is down!)

Youtube barely has any hits.

I doubt there's any in-depth review of this thing.

Quote:
I don't change the options under the Settings button. What I do is uncheck/check Check grammar with spelling, and when its checked I select the Writing Style check I want - Grammar or Grammar & Refinements
Hmmm, okay. I'll have to fiddle around with it again. I usually just keep it on just Grammar (it already had enough false positive issues!).

And I remember last time I messed around with it, it reset the document (perhaps my memory is wrong).

Quote:
For spelling I don't do many Ignore Once's. I correct, Ignore all if I want to subsequently review in context as previously described.
I use Ignore quite often.

The books I work on have a lot of French/German/Greek words interspersed throughout (or potentially odd stuff like book/article titles). And while it might be valid in case A, it may not be valid in case B.

Also ye olde time spelling, might be valid in a quotation, but wrong in the text itself.

Or same with English US/UK spellings. Might be valid in a quote, but not outside.

You have to be very careful with these things! :P

Quote:
This seems to 'fixed' in Office 356 Word, the Editor Box has this:

Attachment 166354
Indeed. Seeing that little line in there just perfectly amplified the anger I have with the current Word grammarcheck system. :P

And their handful of categories are much too broad (it should break down like LanguageTool's rule > specific check hierarchy). Because sometimes just a single rule causes false positives to go through the roof.

Do you still have to Ignore Ignore one at a time? Or can you Ignore the entire rule from there?

Quote:
I don't think I get that as much as I used to, maybe because I went from 6GB to 16GB of RAM
Get it all the time. Probably has something to do with RAM usage, but I have 16GB as well. Probably just the sheer size of books I work on. :P

The worst is when you are partway through correction a giant book, and then you get the popup and all the squigglies disappear. Even if you then delete the second half of the book, ain't no way you get your squigglies back!

(One of the reasons why I prefer a tool that just runs on the entire document and lists all the errors... like LanguageTool.)

Quote:
I probably don't have a problem with it because I spent a lot of time sorting it out when the Ribbons first appeared. IIRC back in the days of evil menus and loathsome button bars, kb shortcuts were no easier to set, and arguably worse. Now at least just about everything can be given a kb short, which I'm not sure has always been the case.
LibreOffice's isn't as nice as Sigil's, but it also has a Search. Their keyboard shortcuts are found in Tools > Customize > Keyboard.

Quote:
I looked at Grammerly once - for all of five minutes
On this hunt for alternate tools... it was so frustrating.

All the "Top 5 list of Grammar Checkers" or "Top 10 Grammar Tools" or "List of Grammar Checker" articles. 99.9% of them pointed to things which redirected right to Grammarly (or now used Grammarly in the backend). (And rarely do these sites even mention LanguageTool.)

You pasted in your sample text? Redirects to Grammarly.
Try this other site? "Why don't you log in using Facebook" and sends you to Grammarly!
Wow, a top 20 list, there MUST be something in there that works. Grammarly!

I can give them one thing, their damn marketing drowns out any sort of meaningful competition.

A few days ago I did run across a reference to a whitepaper (believe it was based on a PhD where someone designed more accurate grammar recommendations). It was one of the few online tools that actually still existed and wasn't overrun by them! Sadly, it was mostly an API, and the online portion was extremely limited.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-17-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote