View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgabi View Post
That sounds interesting. It could be an online Calibre :-) Even if the online version would be a more simple version, still that would be fantastic.
Ultimately, that is the intention -- you should be able to do anything in calibre either from the desktop GUI or via a server-client model via the browser-based clone.
This will also give us multi-user access, and be the next best thing to a Chromebook version of calibre.

But for now, the rewrite is nowhere near done.
The functionality of the current server has been mostly duplicated, and the in-browser ebook viewer is functional-but-still-rudimentary -- all the rest is still to come.
I have been watching it progress with excitement.

@HarryT,

A lot of people have found that Chromebooks mostly meet their needs, are much easier to maintain, and cost a lot less.
That is a valid choice, and although I don't see restricting myself to only the browser, browser apps, javascript, and now Android emulation (sometimes)... if someone else wants to do so, it would be nice if there are solutions available to them.

More choice is always a good thing, and simply saying "get a PC" is not a good answer unless you mean to say there is no Chromebook-compliant solution.

(Granted, I know of none, but I haven't looked, so what would I know.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote