View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #105
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
It isn't speed that kills, otherwise all car races would end in carnage. It's a lack of concentration and poor observation skills, and those can strike at any speed. I ride a Triumph 900, usually at or below the limits but not always, and I often see people in cars texting on phones or fiddling with CD players. I saw one watching TV once. I don't know what it is about cars that makes people drive as if they are immune to all damage, but I blame all the safety devices and in-car entertainment. Get rid of all those and have a big metal spike sticking out of the dashboard and driving standards will improve.
I'm sure you realized that the whole point of the statement is, broadly, that less dangerous things occur if speed is lower, both because impacts are less severe, or more time is available to, well, stop, basically.
In other words, less speed is safer for other people and you.
And a very large number of studies have shown that car drivers develop a "cocoon" mentality inside a "safe" cradle of metal and safety measures designed to keep them safe - it's natural.

The real struggle is not that people drive as if they are immune, but that they often drive as if everybody else is, instead of protecting others from damage or harm through their own actions and behaviour.

And in the UK , speed cameras were painted garish colours and designs, generally placed at dangerous positions, and "accident" rates did drop by more, but, the fixed camera policy has largely been abandoned because the "revenue" arguement won the day.
[Presumably applauded by drivers who wanted to speed past the camera site they knew was there ? Why for goodness sake - oh yes, it's undemocratic or against their human rights..... ? ]

And "accidents" are going up again, despite the new policy of mobile speed devices.

Sorry to bang on, but vehicle drivers do seem unaware of their own stupidity at times - and I am among them.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote