View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i did work as a programmer when I was much younger, never in python or via regex though, my html , before getting into ebooks was very sketchy - I could do a home page with the aid of frontpage but that was about it ! ).

I actually worked on programming typesetting of complex books ( shipping resisters n stuff) at a computer bureau for a while but it was done in Fortran subroutines back then, and we had to join some bolshie newspaper/print workers closed shop union to be allowed to work on books! ( maybe have been the NUJ - National Union of Journalists - this was pre-Murdoch times in the UK when all newspapers were still printed in Fleet Street , and closed shop unions ruled the printing trade! )

I found regex very hard at first, but am now OK with basic find & replace via sigil or calibre - I can edit line feeds, chapter tags n stuff OK. I'm just learning it one command at a time, on a needs driven basis - something in an ebook has to annoy me enough to want to figure out how to fix it! ditto with css stuff, am slowly getting the hang of it & have enough OCD to want to e.g. make all books in a series use the same formatting - very sad :-)

I learnt last week ( driven by some dictionary hassles necessities) how to de-drm my purchased amazon books , so I can now reformat those if I care to. In fact "owning" an e-book that I could not actually edit would really annoy me. Took 1/2 a day but tis done now with a calibre plug in installed & working.

The teach yourself... in 10 mins book is very good also
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote