View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Thumbs up Just bought: Augen "The Book".

Immediately impressed me.
Fully charged right out of the box !
Yup - it's bigger than my (now useless) JB and heavier too - no biggie so far.

I love the display on this thing - and most impressive to me is that when I got to the car - at night, and plugged in my SD card, went to the book I was reading when the poor old JB died, and immediately noticed that without ANY adjustments at all, it was wonderfully readable in any direction, Nice !!!

The JB ->had<- to have it's text resized 2nd to largest for me with me olde eyes.

Kmart's super-duper add-on warrany cost a huge $13 for 2 years, and having used those before I can tell you they are 100% good to have.

I paid almost 2x as much for the JB, which had sucky PDF support and made it to just beyond 1 year before going nuts and taking 118 books (that I know of) on my 2GB card with it when it went.
Ectaco's 'support' is a joke and their standing policy seems to be 'treat the customer with nastiness so they'll go away'.
Glad I got NewEgg's extended warranty so I will not have to deal with them.
The JB would run for 4 1/2 hours total and then needed 5-6 hours to charge.
It would hang randomly as well when it was working at it's best.

My point:
The Augen product MUST easily be better than the JB and depending upon whether the warranty replaces or credits me for the JB I'll decide what to do afterwards...but the Augen reader will tide me over while I wait for the warranty stuff to kick in and I can easily return it to Kmart if it somehow proves to be unworthy.

In closing I must say that for $99 this looks like a great unit.
Since I need no browser/wifi/etc - just a reader, I see no reason at all to gripe about this new machine.

When Android tablets get to $99 with v2.2 or 3.x on them I'll make my next move, but for now I think it's GREAT that such devices have become so wonderfully affordable. Color PDFs on my handheld reader ? Yippee !!!

Best Wishes.

mark
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote