View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #55
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Plugin updater would be a great idea. Instead of scraping mobileread would it not be better if you use googlecode or sourceforge to store plugins and use their rss or atom feeds to check for updates.
As a longer term solution, something like that is undoubtedly a technically superior solution. And it would be trivial to update the updater plugin itself to point to somewhere else.

However in the short term I wouldn't want to discourage users from creating and releasing plugins due to all the extra effort using external repositories requires. Plus you would still need to maintain a master list somewhere of each of the plugins, as well as updating the sticky thread. So you end up with duplication, more work to push a version out etc compared to just editing a post and attaching a zip as is done today.

I don't have the time to manage it and I doubt Kovid does at the moment either. Hopefully if the effort for users to create/publish plugins is minimal we get more of them available, and maybe at some point in the future it reaches a point where a more robust option is required?

Last edited by kiwidude; 03-09-2011 at 06:18 AM.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote