View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaltech View Post
My issue that I'm having is on my laptop and work pc the metadata is not appearing the same. Last night on my laptop I did some major editing of my books organizing them with series names, genres, corrected authors, and added cover art. When I opened Calibre on my other PC all of the edits I did did not show up.

Both machines are running version 0.7.57 and both are set up to store the library in the dropbox folder and the folder is up to date on both machines

Does anyone have ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Yes, you are starting calibre before you allow your PC to fully sync with cloud storage or, less likely, you are turning off the laptop before all of the changes can make it to cloud storage. If you left calibre running on one machine while updating things on another machine you would see the same results.

Once you open calibre on your PC the metadata.db file is locked. This file is where all of the changes you made reside. If you haven't gone crazy with more changes you can go to your web space and restore the version of the file that was updated and stored in the cloud. The version you prevented being downloaded to your machine because you opened calibre too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
So I guess the lesson here is that if your books are going to be "distributed" say, using SugarSync to sync Stanza on an iMac and Stanza on a MacBook, your "master" library needs to be files "saved to disk" and not the files in the Calibre database....

right?
No, the lesson is to let your cloud sync to your machine before starting any program that uses files from the cloud.

I have used Dropbox for 2 years. I did what the OP did once but immediately recognized the error, in my case I turned off my work machine before it had a chance to update the cloud. I chose not to make any changes to my database before I could let my work machine sync to the cloud. This is harder to do now because Dropbox now syncs the metadata.db to the cloud on the fly after most every change. It is easy though to start calibre before the metadata.db file had a chance to sync from the cloud to the local machine, bringing with it the changes made on the other computer.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-29-2011 at 12:22 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote