View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #35
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
I suspect most of us have a predilection for the first narrator we tried. I'm with you, Jerry, in that I gave my loyalty to Vance and couldn't be converted to Tull, although I did give him a try.
I agree w/Issybird, both about preferring the first narrator we try and about Vance (my first narrator of the series) over Tull. As I told Issy, I tried reading the series years ago and only finished M&C. I think I got about half way through Post Captain before giving up. It wasn't until I listened to Vance's reading of the first book that I became hooked. His talent with various accents just brought characters to life for me in a way that the written word couldn't. I also found the nautical jargon easier to understand when listening rather than reading. Happily, my library's Overdrive collection included the entire series read by Vance, so I binged listened to all 20 (and a half if you count the unfinished novel) over the course of six months.

I would encourage anyone who is interested in the series but having difficulty in getting hooked on reading M&C to look into audiobook options. While I prefer Vance, I know there are many ardent fans of Tull. There are a few other readers out there as well (Chichester, Jerom, Piggot-Smith). You probably can't go wrong with any audio version.

Last edited by ElspethB; 07-14-2016 at 08:16 AM.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote