View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #78
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
Can you suggest a program that I could use to automate the text edits I mentioned. It could simply work from a list of search and replace commands. I could have one command for every possible point size, e.g. "font-size: 30pt" to "font-size: 3.0em". I'm getting bored of working through css files again and again.
That's just something I would use a regex capable text-editor for, myself. But in all honesty, it's not something I run into very often. I don't specify (or recommend specifying) a "standard paragraph" font size. I prefer to allow the reading device/app to choose its default body-text size (though specifying a 1em standard paragraph font-size should accomplish the same thing), so I never end up with more than a handful of font-sizes to deal with in my CSS.

That's part of why I start from scratch in the first place, frankly. Because the first thing I'm going have to do with any auto-generated-from-another-format ebook is tear it all apart to tweak the things I want to anyway. I always find it easier to build my own than to learn to fix somebody else's. You, yourself, are having to learn many of the basics of the coding necessary to create an ebook from scratch, just by fixing what you don't like about what a program is building for you. At what point does learning the skills necessary to tweak the InDesign plugin's output render the InDesign portion of the workflow unnecessary (and possibly even an inefficient use of time)?

I think we're trending toward a discussion that might be better suited for the Workshop forum.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote