View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i have a book with a lot of special characters (greek, phonetic transcriptions, etc.) which are encoded in html or included as images. the special characters don't work at all on my eb1150, which is a shame. so i thought it would be the perfect opportunity to enjoy this book, since the html displays perfectly, so logically i should be able to make a lovely .prc without losing anything.

oddity 1 (mobipocket) : when creating my mobipocket, first i wanted to use the html file. so i imported the the .htm and all the images into mobipocket creator (drag / drop in the window). when i launch the "build" of the book, i can follow the progress and it indicates the conversion of each image file. if it converts them, it means it found them, logically. yet, at the end, it gives me a list of errors saying it was UNABLE to find the images, and they are not in fact in the book. why ?? also, i had a .css style sheet which it did not want to take. that's kind of a shame.

oddity 2 (bookeen) : through perseverence, i did eventually manage to make a really nice .prc edition, by starting from the .opf file created by convertLit, so now i have a beautiful mobi book, perfectly formatted, with all the images and every special character, when i preview it in the pc mobipocket reader. yay ! BUT, when i transfer the book to the cybook, arg !! a lot of the special characters disappear !!! and i have those stupid blank squares instead. i thought, maybe the font i am using is not complete, so i charged Times New Roman (i don't think there is a glyph in the world which is not represented in TNR). still those squares. so, it must come from the firmware, which only supports a partial charset. and frankly i find that very disappointing. it would be really nice to have that fixed in a firmware update.

other mobipocket oddity which i forgot to mention the last time, concerning html and images : when i catch an RSS feed with the mobipocket reader, it doesn't take the images. i can tell you, when you want the RSS of a comic strip, if you don't have the images, there's really no point.
Yep. Bookeen hasn't quite got all the bugs out of its HTML handling. And I've learned to live with the quirks of .mobi on Cybook vs .mobi on the PC - which one would presume did not need to happen given that Bookeen should be working from the Mobipocket SDK.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote