View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaghan View Post
This is incredibly helpful information, thanks all.

The project is a B2B one, with many tens of documents on the horizon. Happily the client is au fait with Styles in Word, so we have a bit of a head start. The PDFs themselves are not for print, thankfully (most of my day is spent designing books for print).

Time to test out some options! Thanks again.
Well, if the pdfs are not for print, then, you could have them learn to edit the ePUBs and use Calibre+PrincePDF to make these "not for print" PDFs themselves. That might be the best way forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Then perhaps DOCX as "source format", then you can save PDF from there, and generate ebooks based on their consistent Styles.
Yeah, or that; but again, if they're au fait with Styles...I guess if they don't want to do the work themselves, {shrug}, it makes sense to contract it out.

You may teach all YOUR clients about Styles, but man, mine? They just don't wanna know. I've tried, I mean, really TRIED. (And, in 2019, have finally given up.) I've said it before and I'll say it again, undoubtedly--I'll never understand why people choose not to learn how to use their tools, causing themselves 4x the amount of work, to do an ad hoc Word document, versus the hour or so they'd spend learning Styles, Headings and Outline View. With that handful of tools, they can make Word dance. Bizarre.

I will say that some people are simply not logical. It's not how their brains work, and they simply don't seem to be able to grasp the logic of styles, how they cascade, how you can make them dependent, build one upon another, the structure of headings, etc. {shrug again}.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote