View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #113
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
The other newly introduced feature that I'd be interested to have feedback on is the reading of MOBI/AZW and PDF books. Freda does now support opening these book types, but:
  • It's quite a lot slower than EPUB and FB2
  • PDF layout is quite bad (it should work OK for books consisting mainly of a sequnce of paragraphs, but images will end up out of place)
Feedback welcome.
I've begun to experiment with using Freda to read MOBI, AZW3, & PDF, though as yet I can't provide much feedback. I have found that the MOBI files I've tried all looked good and were quite readable.

I have found an issue. It seems that the app, or perhaps the update process, has failed to "publish" the fact that it supports .mobi, .azw, .azw3, and .pdf, at least on my installation which was somewhat old and has been updated. As a result, it can't be set as the default reader for those formats. With "desktop" applications, like calibre, you get the option to manually navigate to an installed app in such situations, but with the "modern" apps you don't have that option. Even using the "find app on Store" option fails to list Freda as an app for .mobi (I haven't tried to other formats.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote