View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #437
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
At our local university a survey showed that over 70% of the students did not consider copying off someone else's paper dishonest. An applicant for a job confessed that he helped finance his college education, PhD, by massive shoplifting. He spent an hour justifying what he'd done but he didn't get the job. I'm sure he could have "justified" stealing from us, too.
As for academic copying, I thought the rule was "copy from one is cheating, copy from many is research."

As for the confessed shoplifter, was it really as cut and dried as you make it sound? Was there any extenuating circumstances or grey area? Can you give an example of what he said he did and how he justified it?

I'm thinking, for example, if he said he survived by taking extra ketchup packets from MacDonalds and sampling two or three grapes from produce stands, it might not be quite as bad as it sounds.....